Sunday 11 August 2013

Le passé composé avec l'auxiliaire "avoir" et le COD

Bonsoir à tous!

Wow! I haven't written for nearly two weeks!!! Luckily, I have got some drafts, so I can write an article without taking me too much time!

C'est parti! 

Today's topic is about the use of le passé composé avec l'auxiliaire "avoir" et le COD. I always make mistakes on this one!!!! Let's read the following example first.

Quels sont les ingrédients que vous avez utilisés pour faire ce gâteau?

Pourquoi il y a un "s" après le participe passé "utilisé"? (Why is there an "s" after the past participle "utilisé"?)

Pour le passé composé avec l'auxiliaire "avoir":

1. Si le COD est après le verbe => pas de problème
2. Si le COD est devant le verbe, alors vous devez accorder le participe passé avec le COD

If the direct object goes before the verb, you have to pay attention to its gender and singularity, and make changes to the verb accordingly. This is just like what we have to do when the auxiliary verb is "être"! Let's read more examples:

Où as-tu mis les clés?
Je les ai mises dans ton sac.

In the question, the object is after the verb, so you can see that nothing is put after le participe passé "mis"
In the answer, "les" (= les clés) is put before the verb; therefore, "e" and "s" should be added as the object is feminine and plural.

Est-ce que tu as regardé la télévision hier soir?
Oui, je l'ai regardée.

Again, in the question, the object is after the verb, so nothing is put after le participe passé "regardé"
In this case, "l'" (= la télévision) is put before the verb; therefore, "e" should be added as the object is feminine.

Est-ce que tu as fini les exercises?
Oui, je les ai finis.
Non, je ne les ai pas finis.

I guess you understand the grammar point without reading my explanation...
Anyway, I am still happy to elaborate a little.
In this question, the object is after the verb, so nothing is put after le participe passé "fini"
This time, "les" (= les exercises) is put before the verb; therefore, "sshould be added as the object is plural.

Actually, this grammar rule is not complicated at all, but I keep forgetting the "e" and "s"... because to me, the use of le passé composé is still difficult... Whenever I come across a sentence talking about the past, I have to think about:

1. le passé composé or l'imparfait?
2. If le passé composé, "avoir" or "être"?
3. the correct spelling of le participe passé

Then, I think I have already finished the question and move on to the next one... as a result, something is always missing... pathetic!

OK, I have finished explaining this grammar rule. I hope I can have time for the blog soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment